Friday, 28 April 2017

Nigerian Troops Neutralize 15 Terrorists, Capture Cache of Weapons in Sambisa

The Acting General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division Nigerian Army, Brigadier General Victor  Ezugwu has commended troops of 21 Brigade  of the Division for delivering a devastating deep punch to Boko Haram terrorists leading to the capture of large quantities of terrorists' equipment.

Ooni Vs Akinolu: Much Ado About Nothing – Ajose

The Oba of Lagos, Oba Rilwan Akiolu, has cleared the air on the video making the rounds in the social media that is being misconstrued as his snubbing the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, at a public function in Lagos. Rather, Oba Akiolu said his gesture to the Ooni was the culturally acclaimed way of greeting a monarch in Lagos.

LASG To Construct Three Care Centres For Elderly

Lagos State Government has said that plans are afoot to construct three ultra-modern care centres for old and elderly citizens in the State as a way of providing an interactive platform for the aged residents as well as increase socialization among them, especially those who are often left to care for themselves by their family members.

AFRIMA 2017 Calendar unveiling: African music stars confirm attendance


An impressive array of African music stars have confirmed attendance of the 2017 All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA) Calendar unveiling event scheduled to hold in partnership with the African Union Commission and the ONE Campaign on Tuesday, May 2, at The Maslow Hotel, Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa.

ETI announces 15% increase in PAT N18.68bn for Q1 2017

As part of its re-engineering effort and coming from a loss position in 2016, Ecobank transnational incorporated (ETI) has announced 15 per cent increase in profit after tax to N18.7 billion for the first quarter (Q1) ended March 2017.

OPINION: That NIA’s Black-Budget and Mysterious Whistle-blower

By Yushau A. Shuaib
Preparatory to the daring and merciless military operations against Boko Haram members, top officers of security and intelligence agencies were in Lagos and Abuja, towards the end of 2014 to interact with critical stakeholders that matter in shaping public perception and opinions. The then President of Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE), Mr. Femi Adesina was part of the audience.

Thursday, 27 April 2017

North Korea puts out new video showing the White House in crosshairs and carriers exploding


A North Korean propaganda video shows a simulated attack on the U.S., amid rising tensions between North Korea and the United States. (Arirangmeari.com)

A North Korean propaganda outlet Thursday released an inflammatory video clip showing a simulated attack on the White House and declaring that “the enemy to be destroyed is in our sights.”
The video comes at a particularly tense time in relations between North Korea and the United States, with the Trump administration sending warships to the region in a show of force against Kim Jong Un’s regime.

Earlier this week, North Korea conducted large-scale artillery drills, showing off conventional weaponry that can easily reach the South Korean capital of Seoul, the center of a metropolitan region that is home to some 25 million people.

President Trump, who has been urging China to apply pressure to North Korea and to act if Beijing doesn’t, convened congressional lawmakers Wednesday to brief them on the “very grave threat” posed by Pyongyang.

(Reuters)

At the same time, one of the U.S. Navy’s largest submarines, the USS Michigan, which carries Tomahawk cruise missiles, docked in the South Korean port of Busan this week. The USS Carl Vinson aircraft carrier, along with the destroyers and cruiser that make up its strike group, will be arriving in the Korean Peninsula area this weekend as well.

A North Korean website, Meari, or Echo, released a video showing photos of the White House and aircraft carriers with a target on them, as if they are in the crosshairs.
It then showed simulated footage of the aircraft carrier exploding in a ball of flames, with the caption: “When the enemy takes the first step toward provocation and invasion.”

The 2 ½ -minute video included scenes from the huge military parade that North Korea held on April 15 to mark the anniversary of the birth of the state’s founder, Kim Il Sung. It also showed footage of North Korean artillery and missile launches.

Against the background of missile launches, the caption read: “We will show you what a strong country that leads the world in nuclear and missile technology is capable of.”
U.S. officials said the Pentagon is developing military options after having directed the Carl Vinson aircraft carrier strike group toward the Korean Peninsula.

But the Trump administration is also stressing that it has powerful options other than military ones. They include imposing additional economic sanctions on North Korea and further isolating the Kim regime in the international community.
North Korea is known for its bombastic rhetoric and exaggerated propaganda, but it has ramped up its output in recent weeks as tensions have risen.

During a concert held April 16 and attended by Kim, a video was broadcast showing missiles arcing over the Pacific and leaving a U.S. city in flames, followed by images of a burning American flag and a cemetery filled with white crosses.
Similar videos showing successful attacks on U.S. cities were broadcast last year and in 2013.

Westminster terror alert: Man arrested just 100m from Downing Street


Armed officers have arrested a man in connection with preparing a terror attack just yards from Downing Street.
Police say the 27-year-old was carrying a rucksack containing several knives, which are being examined by forensic officers.
The suspect was known to police prior to his arrest, according to Sky sources.

Image:A man is led away by police in Westminster after an arrest was made on Whitehall

Roads were locked down as officers carried out the arrest - pushing the man to the ground before holding him at the scene. No one was injured in the incident, and Whitehall has since reopened northbound.

The Metropolitan Police said the man was stopped at 2.22pm as part of an ongoing search operation. He has been taken to a south London police station where he is being held under the Terrorism Act.
He was arrested on the Parliament Street junction with Parliament Square, close to the scene of last month's terror attack which killed five people including PC Keith Palmer on 22 March.

Image:The Prime Minister campaigning outside of London at the time of the incident

Theresa May was not at Number 10 at the time of the incident.
Speaking from a General Election campaign event in Derbyshire, the Prime Minister said: "I'm aware that a man has been arrested in Whitehall today and that individual has been arrested on the basis of a terrorism charge.
"I think it shows that our police and intelligence and security services are on alert as they always are - looking to keep us safe and secure. I would say we owe a huge debt of gratitude to these people."

Image:A forensic investigator recovers a knife after man was arrested on Whitehall in Westminster, central London

London Mayor Sadiq Khan tweeted: "Thanks to all officers who dealt swiftly & professionally with the incident in Whitehall. The Met Commissioner has briefed me on the arrest."
A Metropolitan Police statement said: "The man, aged in his late twenties, was arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon and on suspicion of the commission, preparation and instigation of acts of terrorism.

"Knives have been recovered from him.
"Detectives from the Counter Terrorism Command are continuing their investigation, and as a result of this arrest there is no immediate known threat."




Sky News Political Correspondent Lewis Goodall said: "A witness said at one point he was taken to the ground - he was wearing a black tracksuit. Police surrounded him.
"There are various police officers here, both armed guards and forensic officers who are examining the scene. Earlier, we managed to get in the thick of it and we could see a bag clearly with a selection of knives which are being examined.

Image:The moment the suspect was arrested

"This is one of the busiest thoroughfares in London, you've got thousands and thousands of people working in government departments among other things and the area has come to something of a standstill."
A builder working on the road nearby said: "I saw the police officers catch him. They caught him and got him on the ground."
Asked if the suspect was waving knives, acting aggressively or shouting, the witness said: "No."

Image:The 27-year-old has been taken to a south London police station

Kia Motors to build manufacturing plant in India

Kia Motors has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the State Government of Andhra Pradesh, India to build a new manufacturing facility in Anantapur District. The MOU was signed today at a ceremony held in the city of Vijayawada, a part of Andhra Pradesh Capital Region, attended by executives from Kia Motors and the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, Nara Chandrababu Naidu.

Court rejects ‘corrupt’ INEC official’s plea bargain, says punishment too mild

A Federal High Court in Lagos on Thursday held that a plea bargain agreement between the EFCC and an INEC official charged with money laundering, cannot avail the accused.

The Oloja Blog Fan Box