Saturday 26 October 2013

E - Report! - I can’t wear revealing clothes – Sasha

"Sasha, Naijas queen of Rap speaks. A queen is always a queen and most present herself as such always."

Below is a great interview she granted about her fashion and style.


Rap artiste, Yetunde Alabi, popularly known as Sasha tells ‘Nonye Ben-Nwankwo about her fashion and style

What does fashion and style mean to you?
Style is an extension of your personality. Fashion is the vehicle that you use to express your style.
Would you say Sasha is a fashionable person?
Of course I am. I love fashion.
As much as you have your own label, do you wear other labels?
I wear other Nigerian designers. I also patronise international designers. I am a fashion lover. I like to switch things. My label is high street fashion and there are occasions that I should wear such high fashion. As long as the label looks good on me, I wear it.
Should we call you a fashion designer?
I call myself an entrepreneur since my design is a high street label.
What can’t you de caught dead wearing?
I can’t think of anything but I know I can’t wear bell bottoms.
But there was a time it was trending…
It was an atrocity. I never stepped out of the house wearing it.
What is the most expensive fashion item you have?
I don’t talk about price. I don’t think it is classy to do that.
So what is your most prized possession?
 I would say that one pair of shoes I owe and then a pair of earrings. They were presents.
Do you wear things in vogue or you create your own style?
Being in the retro fashion business, you have to be up to date. I translate it to what is comfortable and wearable. It is not every trend that fits everybody. I only rock what I am comfortable on. I have to make it look good on me before I wear it.
As a rap artiste, how come you don’t wear tattoo?
I don’t have any on my body and I don’t think it is necessary. I don’t have anything against it though. I love the temporary ones. I had them at a point. But at the moment, I wouldn’t do anything to my skin.
What of piercing?
I just pierced my ears for my earrings.
Are you adventurous when it comes to hair?
I have been very adventurous with my hair in the past. I had a red hair extension recently. I love different colours and I love to experiment with the colours. But at the moment, I am going natural. I do a lot of braiding.
What prompted you to become a designer?
I have always loved fashion. My mother had a fashion line when I was growing up. Even when I was with Trybe Records, I had always made my stage outfit. I made stuffs I wore to classes and people in my school liked them and they started ordering for them. I felt it was time to put it on a bigger platform since we had a good following. Fashion was growing in Nigeria and we wanted to be a part of that industry.
Is there a difference between a tailor, designer and an entrepreneur?
It can be possible to be all of them and also possible to be one of them. A tailor does the practical work. He sits down and sews the cloth on the machines. It doesn’t stop him from being a designer or an entrepreneur. A sole entrepreneur doesn’t have to be a designer or a tailor. He might be somebody who understands the business of fashion and he directs the tailor on what to make. A designer can sketch designs.
Have you ever worn something to an event and you regret wearing it?
It has happened many times. You have to be able to laugh at yourself. At times, I wear something and I tell myself I am looking hot and I see another person, I feel I should have done better.
What is your fashion craze?
It is definitely shoes. I don’t know the number of pairs of shoes I owe. I have even scaled them down a bit because I always give them out. I can’t wear all of them at the same time. I am being more prudent. I would rather not say how many pairs of shoes I have.
Do you love all colours?
There is no colour that I don’t like. I actually play with all the colours. I will always find a shade that suits my skin. We always mix colours in my clothing line.
Do you wear stuff that are revealing?
I like to wear clothes that keep me looking decent. You can be fashionable without looking obscene. I believe that modesty is the best.
Can we see you wearing something outrageous like some international stars do most times?
If you haven’t caught me on camera in 12 years then you will never catch me.

BY ‘NONYE BEN-NWANKWO

No comments:

The Oloja Blog Fan Box